Sunday, March 6, 2011

1 in 5 relationships...

We were lying on his couch flipping through the channels.

"Do you like Pawn Stars?" the cop asked me.

"Who doesn't?" I shot a grin back his way.

I loved that show. It was the History Channel meets Antique Roadshow meets Family Guy (I see a little Peter (or even his son... I forget his name...) in Chumlee). My family and I would always watch it when I was home to visit. They were actually the ones who got me hooked on it.

He let the remote stop on that channel and turned my cheek toward his. It was our third date, and he leaned in for another kiss.

I wasn't so much worried about his kissing ability as I was my own, though. It had been a while since I'd really gotten out there and dated -- and by "been a while," I mean it had been about 5 years. My last relationship was 4 years (too) long. So I did the math... and I realized I hadn't had a real "first" date in over 5 years. (To be fair, I did have a sort of "rebound" guy right after the horrible, no good, really bad breakup, but we never officially dated, and long story short... I broke his heart. I knew it wasn't right, but I hung on for the security of it all.)

So to say I was a little nervous about kissing the cop was an understatement. But my nervousness melted as soon as he tipped my chin toward his. It felt so... natural. Unforced. Right.

And that's when everything stopped.

"One in five relationships now begin on an online dating site," a female voice rang out over his television speakers.

"You have GOT to be kidding me!" The kissing ended, and I rolled over to hide my head in his shoulder.

"Wow. That's just... wow." I could not believe his TV was mocking me. Mocking us! I was too embarrassed. The moment was gone.

The cop laughed.

"Oh... c'mon, it's okay. I mean, I met you, didn't I?" He kissed my forehead. Was this really only the third date?

-- Miss Matched

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Love it. He sounds like a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That commercial gets an Academy Award for Worst Timing :-)

    As for the "1 in 5", my opinion is that you should never trust the numbers that dating sites give you!

    Apart from that - if he turns out to be Mr Right, it won't really matter how you met him, right?

    ReplyDelete