Thursday, March 3, 2011

Third dates, dogs and raising the Bounty bar

"So you're giving away your dad's recipe already, huh?" The cop asked as he saw me pull my "secret" ingredients out of the Randall's grocery sack and line them up on his kitchen counter.

It was our third date, and I had agreed to drive to his place for dinner and a movie, but only on one condition. My two dogs had to make the trek with me. They stared up at me from my feet, tails wagging, hoping I'd drop a piece of food in their direction. I smiled. They looked happy here, in this stranger's kitchen.

"I told you I make an amazing burger. And these are the only ingredients he uses," I said as I opened a bottle of worcestershire sauce and a seasoning packet.

"So you're saying that if I don't like your burgers, I'm insulting your dad already? Man. The pressure's on," he teased.

"That's exactly right," I said. "So you better like 'em. And if you don't, you better lie."

He grinned and gave me a peck on the cheek as I tried to gracefully unwrap a pound of ground hamburger meat. There was nothing graceful about it though, and I accepted my fate. My hands were covered in raw meat as I mixed the ingredients together and flattened out patties between my palms, but he didn't seem to notice. He was still smiling at me.

When he finally did quit looking in my direction, it was to open the fridge and pull out a package of fresh turkey deli meat.

Before I had time to question his choice (did he not like my burgers already? I hadn't even put them on the grill yet!), he held a piece of turkey close to the ground.

"How about a treat? You want a treat?"

Oh. My. God. He was a natural. My dogs scampered over to him as quickly as possible and wolfed down the two slices of turkey. He pet them both on the head and then started smiling at me again.

I didn't want to let him know how much I had enjoyed seeing him do that. You win over my dogs, you win me over, too. I had to be smart about this. I had to play coy. But inside, my heart was grinning.

I finished crafting the hamburger patties and put them on a plate to transfer them to the grill. I made my way over to the sink to wash my filthy hands. I applied loads of soap and rinsed them clean. Before I knew it, he was behind me.

With a paper towel. Already torn. For me. He was always one step ahead of me. But in a good way.

I'm not sure why that made such a heavy impact on me. As I was recalling that scene to my (happily married) sister a day later, she picked up on its sensitivity and considerateness, but was quick to bring me back down to reality.

"Hun, I'm so glad he did that for you. I'm just so saddened that's the kind of thing that blows you away. A paper towel! You should have someone do that kind of thing for you and more -- every day."

She had a point. I had to raise the bar if I was going to find someone and take this seriously --  to take me seriously.

I had to raise my Bounty (Quicker Picker Upper) bar.

6 comments:

  1. He's covering what counts - all the small details. If he can pay attention to, and take action for things that most people would never see, that's a good sign!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the dogs approve of him before they got into the kitchen? The quickest way to a dog's heart is through the stomach, after all...
    But if the dogs liked him from the start, that's a Good Sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pudding Taster: Yes, my dogs approved of him on the first date when we met in the local dog park! So they had a chance to get to know him then. But the turkey slice was definitely the icing on the cake! :)

    @Kit: Agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the little details! :) I'm a new follower, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I agree with the sis. But I also understand where you're coming from. Dating has a tendency of fluctuating our expectations a bit based on previous dates and relationships. We learn for certain what we don't like in a lot of cases and we appreciate in the next go-round what was distinctly missing in the last. I'm curious though, have you ever read anything on the 5 Love Languages? It may shed some light on what makes you tick. It sure did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Megan: Welcome! Thanks for reading along! I can't wait to write more about him! It seems my best blog posts are inspired by the cop, but he's been in London for the past week with a few buddies (just for travel/vacation), so hopefully my blogging lull will end when he gets back! :)

    @MOASD: My sister is a wise one. :) But yes, I actually own that book! I've only skimmed through it (haven't read it cover to cover yet), but I plan on it!

    ReplyDelete