Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Cardinal Sin (of Match.com)

I just committed the cardinal sin of Match.com. I'm way in over my head at this point. I need a Match.com assistant, and I'm not even joking. I'm preparing to start an Excel spreadsheet tonight.

No, it's not that I have a lot of suitors. I just have a lot of potential suitors. And I'm not complaining. I mean, I know it's a good problem to have. Believe me, it's not like I'd rather be in Sheldon's shoes (any Big Bang Theory fans out there?). The more matches available, the better chances I have, right? However, I was just not prepared for the sheer volume. 


So back to the cardinal sin...

I was busy enjoying the day with my parents (they came in town to visit), and while hanging out in town, I used the Match.com mobile app (which could use so many upgrades and tweaks, but that's another story for another time) to shoot off a quick email to a guy who told me his account was expiring. Not sure if guys use that as a line to get your phone number faster, but anyway... it worked. I sent him my phone number via email (instructing him to use it carefully, since it's my only one...ha).

Hours later, and I had forgotten all about that little email until a text message pops up on my phone from a number I don't recognize...

(XXX) XXX-XXX: Lol, your number is in good hands :-)

Me: Lol, let me guess... Dan?

Five minutes of racking my brain. Then 2.3 split seconds to realize I never sent a "Dan" my number. Frantically, 1.4 nanoseconds to try to figure out what to do next. SHIT.


Me: Wait! No... Kevin? C'mon help a girl out!

That's it, play the "do me a favor, help me out" game. Somehow, I still don't think this is working. I'm digging my own grave. Shit, shit, shit. What if he's not even a Kevin? Then I've gone and screwed up TWICE!


Me: Ah crap, I just ruined this conversation, didn't I?

Yeah. Keep it light-hearted. This will be a good test of his sense of humor at the very least, right? Oh God... Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! 


{Five minutes of stressful silence, and no "bing!" from a text message in response}

I just dug my own grave. I committed the cardinal sin of all sins on Match.com. I forgot his name! Or rather, I got him mixed up with ANOTHER GUY. What am I doing? I am way in over my...


{Bing!}


Him: Lol Dan, huh?

Well, at least he has a good sense of humor. However, he *still* didn't leave his name.... SHIT.


-- Miss *Match*ed

No comments:

Post a Comment