Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oh my god, I'm in love with an email

I realize this is my very first blog post. I'm a little behind. To be specific, I'm about two weeks behind. But everyone loved Star Wars, and that started four episodes in. I'm hoping my critics are lenient. Or at the very least, willing to travel down a couple week's worth of memory lane with me later.

My goal for this blog is to document the good, the bad and the... well. We'll just have to find out when we get there, won't we?

I want to document my online dating adventure, well, because I'm convinced that's what it could be. A grand mix of butterflies, awkward half side-hugs, and two people reaching for the check. It could also very well be an adventurous disaster, but that's just better fodder for future blog posts, am I right?

With that said, and with no further ado, I'm going to jump right into what happened tonight...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 15: Otherwise known as "I'm in love with an email"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

He emailed me back. He emailed me back. He finally! emailed me back. That's all I could think. I was giggling like a silly little schoolgirl. I'm 27-years-old.

Flashback: A full 8 days had passed and no communication. (No, I wasn't counting.... All right, fine. Maybe just a little.) But it wasn't the longest 8 days of my life. I'm not overly melodramatic, mind you. The back of my hand has never hit my forehand, and I've never fainted a day in my life. But the absence of communication was present -- it was on the back of my mind. I hadn't heard from him, and this is when my overly-analyzing self comes out in full force, with its twin cousins, fear and worry.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. You were too forward. You shouldn't have given him your cell phone number. Stupid! What were you thinking?


Let's rewind a bit, shall we? It's January 31. The weather is a little chillier than normal. I sit down at my computer and log on to Match.com. Before I know it, these gorgeous brown eyes are staring back at me from my screen.  In all my five days of being on the site, I hadn't seen a profile picture so gorgeous. Too gorgeous. Wait...

Does Match.com install dating "spys" to scour their site? He's too perfect. This can't be real. And he emailed ME first.

All conspiracy aside, his email was far from generic. He was warm, sincere, and oh... did I really just read that? He said he has a slight British accent.

Note: From here on out, we'll refer to him as British guy. I'm keeping all usernames/real names/nicknames and the like private for my sake and everyone I correspond with.

So... back to present day. After not hearing from British guy in 8 long and grueling days, I see it. Another email. From him. God, it's beautiful. It's just like his picture, but with nouns and verbs and beautifully placed adjectives. I love everything about it... his warm introduction "Very nice to hear from you!" to his funny use of English phrases: "I've got an early get up tomorrow" and "shall I" and "arse." (Yes, he used the word "arse." That story to come later.)

But his sense of humor is just as charming. Funny, self-deprecating... it was all there. As was my cell phone number. He now had it. There was no turning back. The ball was now in his court.

Only, that was the problem. This wasn't a game to me. This was real. I was officially in love with an email. A gorgeous British email.

More to come... 

1 comment:

  1. If I'm going to date which I am absolutely not into I'm going to have to change my attitude. I've never dated. That's right, never. Maybe I can explain that better in my own post.

    Yes! You are new. I will catch up and I will visit your blog for some kindred connections.

    Glad you are here:)

    ReplyDelete